Monday, December 2, 2013

Yarn Talk


The last few weeks I got several questions about the yarn I use. I thought I'd answer you all in a post about it. I use a lot of different brands, because I need the colors to be just right, and haven't found a brand yet that has all the colors I love. They are all (more or less) the same quality and thickness.


For cushion covers, coasters, potholders and other small projects I use about 5 brands of the same type yarn. I use Schachenmayr SMC Catania, Phil Coton 3, Rio (this one is significantly cheaper), Katia Capri and Cotton Quick. The last one I only discovered recently (I don't have a picture of the label... I'm not so organized with yarn). This shop sells 4 of these brands. Because you all come from different countries I'm not sure which ones can be ordered or bought in you country. Just look for the brands on the internet and I'm sure you'll find something. It's all mercerized cotton and I use a 3,5 mm hook. There are other brands too that have the same quality.


For blankets I use a thicker yarn. I use 3 different brands and just mix them, the same as I do with my other yarn. I use Creative Cotton, Drops Paris and the yellow I use is Catania Grande (I don't like the other colors of this brand). The last brand is mercerized, that's why I only use it for the center of squares or circles,  otherwise it would be noticeable it's a different yarn. (The first 2 brands aren't mercerized). Some people don't like the first 2 brands, 'cause it splits easily, but I really don't mind that so much. You need to use a smooth high quality hook and than you'll be fine. I really like the softness of this yarn and the great great colors! And on top of all that, it's really inexpensive!


I did only a little crochet this last week. Still busy designing and making coasters. I've always loved the African Flower Hexagon, but never used it before. I thought they might make some nice happy coasters... And they did!! I used Pigtails' tutorial. (Thank you Magda!).


There's also some unfinished business I'm transforming into something else. Started it ages ago and don't like the color combination anymore. So it's going to be something else...


A last remark on the yarn: Echtstudio is a great yarn shop. It's in the town where I live, so I'm very lucky, but it's also possible to order. (I'm not sure if you can order from abroad though...)

Hope this was helpful. Enjoy your day!

Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Wat een prachtige kleurtjes allemaal en die hexagons zijn ook zo mooi! Ook leuk om te lezen welk garen jij zoal gebruikt.
    Groetjes, Liane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colour combinations are truly unique and I wrongly thought it was all Paris Drops (Since it is not available here I never looked at their palette!). You certainly know how to mix and use the brands to get the best combinations out of the yarn. I too use high quality smooth hooks and don't experience the split problems either. Your coasters are gorgeous! Thank you for referring to my posting, it is such a pretty design and I am tempted to make another soccer ball in this pattern again. Have a great week and let us know as soon as your shop is open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the pattern too. I think I'll make some more... So do you use Creative Cotton too? I really like the Vinnis Nikkim yarn you used. I just can't get it here... The colors are delicious! Well, have a nice day and will let you know once my shop opens.

      Delete
  3. Heerlijke hè al die garens in de meest prachtige kleuren!! Erg fijne haakwerkjes maak je ermee❤️. Wie weet zien we je zaterdag de 14de bij Echt studio? Ik ben er nog nooit geweest en lees net dat jij daar in de buurt woont. Zou leuk zijn!!! Groetjes, Claire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dat lijkt me heel leuk Claire. Ik moet even schuiven maar probeer zeker even kennis met je te komen maken. En bedankt voor je compliment. Ik heb jullie boek gevraagd voor Sinterklaas...

      Delete
  4. Wat mooi om te zien hoe jij al je kleuren bij elkaar vindt...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jenn, this was very helpful to see the different kinds of yarn you use. I have tried Paris Drops, but despite good quality hooks, I find this cotton does split very easily and is a little tricky to work with. I really love the Schachenmayr Catania and find it easy to crochet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... 01 09 10